[mythtv-users] Jarod's mythpowerbutton.sh & ivtv

Timothy McFadden mcfadden.timothy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:06:46 UTC 2005

Hi.

I installed MythTV a while back with Jarod's FC3 guide.  Part of his
"Tips 'n' Tricks" is a shell script to kill mythfrontend from the
remote.

This script works fine, however when ivtv-dec is decoding a program
and mythfrontend gets killed, the decoder locks up.  The only way that
I know of to fix the lock up is to reboot.  I believe this is a know
bug ( sort of, it's known to happen with mythfrontend crashes which is
almost the same thing ).

Does anyone have a fix or know where I could find the info to adjust
the script so it kills the ivtv decoder "nicely"?  The WAF has peaked
and started to decline because of this.

I'm using Myth 0.18, ivtv 0.3.7k ( from RPM ), and a PVR-350 w/ TV Out.

Here's Jarod's script ( also @ http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/tips.php ):

#!/bin/bash
PROG=mythfrontend
STATUS=`ps -e | grep $PROG | grep -v grep | wc -l | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ `echo $DISPLAY | grep -c ":0"` -ge 1 ]
then
    if [ $STATUS -eq 0 ]
    then
        ( $PROG & )