[mythtv-users] How to fix Movie posters on FE

Jeff McCarty mythtv at jeff.tagcomp.com
Thu Sep 15 19:01:26 UTC 2005

On Sep 15, 2005, at 9:19am, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>> On 15/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
>> Yes I think I must have slipped up somewhere, because I'm
>> pretty sure that mythbackend is running as root.  I'll look when
>> I get home tonight.  Sadly for me Jarod's ability to write the
>> guide seems to be better than my ability to follow it :-(
>> because it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made through
>> not reading it  carefully enough.
>>

> LOL - me too.  I read through it about 5 times and actually did
> the whole thing from start to finish about 5 times before I
> realized that the $ and # were there for a reason.  I'm
> a fairly seasoned *nix admin (10+ years) and didn't
> notice the #/$ until I printed out the doc and read
> everything, cover to cover, on a flight from Buffalo
> to Atlanta.

My mythbackend is running as root also. I thought I followed Jarod's
guide to the letter, but it's possible I missed a $ and ran a command
at a # prompt.

However, I looked through the /etc/init.d/mythbackend script that
fires up mythbackend automatically at startup, and found the
following lines in the start clause of the script:

#  cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon --user mythtv $binary $OPTIONS
   cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon $binary $OPTIONS

I'm assuming that the first one explicitly specifies the user mythtv
to run mythbackend, but it's commented out. The second one doesn't
specify a user, so it runs as root. Should I comment out the second
line and un-comment the first? Why is it like this in the default
install anyhow? I hate changing things around if I don't understand
them first.