[mythtv-users] nvtv Seg Faults After Upgrading Gentoo

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Sep 15 22:32:44 UTC 2005

I'm running a 2.6.11-r6 Gentoo kernel on a box whose main purpose is
MythTV.  Everything was working fine until I did an upgrade using
'emerge -uvD world' followed with 'revdep-rebuild' (a Gentoo script that
rebuilds dependent libraries).  Now nvtv seg faults when I first attempt
to run it.  Additional attempts result in this error message:

Fatal: Cannot access video cards. Either you are not root, or the
NVidia devices are not accessible.

I get the same message when attempting to run as root.

I also have TightVNC installed on this box and normally start a session
on :1.  In checking this further, it is interesting that nvtv starts
fine when using :1 via the TightVNC viewer if X is not running on :0.
However once X is on :0, that's when the seg faults start.  Thus it
appears that nvtv compiled OK.  Maybe I have a problem with my X
config?  BTW, I'm using xorg.

I've tried  removing and reinstalling both nvtv and nvidia-kernel but no
joy.  I'm new to Linux, Gentoo, and MythTV. However I do have a bit of a
*nix background with FreeBSD so I'm not at a total loss.  Any
suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse