[mythtv-users] Are there any docs that describe the split between mythfrontend and mythbackend?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 16 03:09:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 23:00, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> > What I am not sure about is if I need to setup nfs to mount the /video
> > from the master on the slave system.  And if I don't does the slave
> > backend have a way to save the recorded files to the /video file system
> > on the master?
>
> You don't have to use NFS - the slave can store the captured files
> locally.  And when a frontend requests to view that program the slave
> will stream the file to the client.
>
> The reason that people use NFS is so that if the slave isn't available
> you can still watch the content, because the master backend will have
> the file.  That's what the masterbackend override toggle does: if the
> masterbackend can stream the file, it will.

That is great news.  So each backend system does its own auto deletion
calculations based on space available in the local /video file system?

So which is the preferred setup?  NFS or local storage on slave
backends?  Any calculations on how many streams a 100Mb LAN connection
can support?

Thanks for explaining this.