[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase errors: Can; t get channel+ no sound in mythtv

Analabha Roy hariseldon99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:48:01 UTC 2005

On 9/16/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/09/05, Analabha Roy <hariseldon99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for your response.
> >
> > On 9/15/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What is the IP address and complete hostname of the machine you are
> using?
> > >
> > > Are you using user 'daneel' as the user identifier in mythtv itself.
> > > If so you (obviously) need the user 'daneel' to be able to acces the
> > > mysql database. In the previous post, I mentioned using 192.168.1/24
> > > *if* that was your network address. If it isn't, it wont help.
> >

> > *Ahem*. Sorry abt that. Silly of me to not notice.
> >
> > Here is my output of "ifconfig eth0"
> > inet addr:192.168.254.24 <http://192.168.254.24> Bcast:255.255.255.255<http://255.255.255.255>Mask:
> 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>
> >
> > > I would try changing your hostname to 'localhost' and using the user
> > > 'mythtv' when using mythtv.
> >

> > Well, the /etc/hosts file does contain 'localhost' as an alternative
> name.
> > This is wierd. I'm only going to connect to it locally, so it shouldn't
> > matter (besides, mysql is firewalled in lan)
> >
> > Anywho, I'll login to mythtv user & see if that helps.
> > The thing is, I don't use this compu as a dedicated PVR box. This is my
> > regular PC where I work and stuff. I just wanna pause & record live TV
> (&
> > I'm too poor to afford another PC to use as a dedictaed PVR). So a fresh
> > install would be a huge hassle .
> >
> > Anywho, I logged in as 'mythtv' and exported mc.sql into mysqld.
> > Then I ran mythtvsetup. When I went to "Channel Editor" I couldn't see
> the
> > mouse pointer to the screen so I couldn't "scan for channels". I'm using
> > KDE, so I went to KDE control center & configged "Focus follows mouse"
> as
> > per the howto but didn't help.
> >

> Please also post your ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~daneel/mythtv-hell/mysql.txt

Are you meaning that MySQL is running on your machine, but firewalled
> off to any other machines trying to connect to it? From our previous
> attempts, you seem to be able to connect to it.

Yes, but I'm connecting locally thru the loopback. MYSQL is running on my
local PC. It's firewalled for eth0. This means that nobody can connect to it
from remote machines. That's s'posed to be good, right? I don't wanna
connect remotely. Only locally.

Also, it is not unusual to have no mouse in mythtvsetup. You should be
> able to use the cursor keys and Enter to both navigate and change
> entries in the various setup screens.

Ya, but then how do I activate the channel scan button? I can't navigate to
it using the keyboard. If I press the cursor key, it just cycles thru
selecting all the other options except the shaded 'channel scan' and
'advanced' button

Nick