[mythtv-users] OT: Swapping processors

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 00:46:19 UTC 2005

Sorry for the OT post, but I am hoping someone can
point me in the right direction. I accidentally bought
a 333Mhz XP 3000+ rather than a 400Mhz one. The 400Mhz
XP2900+ I have in another front end runs HDTV just
fine, but the 333Mhz XP 3000+ needs XvMC to play HDTV,
which can be flaky. I happen to have an extra 400Mhz
XP2900+ in another computer that I can swap, but I
have never done this before.

Basically, what I want to know, or want a pointer to
another forum, is notes on removing a processor from
one computer without damaging, cleaning the thermal
paste off it and the heat sinks, and putting it in
another. I am especially worried about cleaning the
thermal grease off the processors and heat sinks.

Sorry - but until I decided to install a MythTV system
in my new house, I never built my own computers. Any
help would be appreciated.

Rob