[mythtv-users] Knoppix Install fails

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sat Sep 17 02:15:19 UTC 2005

Anil Gupte wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I just started to install MythTV using the Knoppix distro.  It fails
> with the error message
>
> "No such device or address when trying to determine file system size".
>
> I know knoppix will fail if the hard drive is not /dev/hda and
> methinks that is the problem.  My CD-Rom is connected as IDE1 (the
> only choice) and my hard drive as SATA1.  How can I make my hard drive
> recognizable?
>
> Please note, I am a Linux newbie, so any advice will help.
>
> Thanx.
> Anil Gupte

I don't think you can. Knoppix is not a 'real' distribution. It's a cut
down version of Debian I believe, and it makes it very easy to try it
out, and get a quick install up and running for most people.  The
problem of expecting /dev/hda is due to one of the shortcuts/assumptions
it makes.   Someone may know of a workaround, but if they don't, I'd
suggest getting a recent copy of a full distribution, like Debian
itself, or, what I am using, Mandriva 2005LE.  Mandriva has no problems
whatsoever using /dev/sda (the SCSI/SATA device name) for installation.