[mythtv-users] mythburn - wow - this takes a LOOOONG time...

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Sep 18 20:32:27 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Guardiani" <jesse at wingnet.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythburn - wow - this takes a LOOOONG time...

> > Doesn't look right to me. In the log above it looks like it never got past 1%.
> > You should be seeing the % value increasing something like this:
> >
> > 1% demuxing A/V PES file 1170_20050819193000_20050819200000.nuv
> > 2% demuxing A/V PES file 1170_20050819193000_20050819200000.nuv
> > 3% demuxing A/V PES file 1170_20050819193000_20050819200000.nuv
> > 4% demuxing A/V PES file 1170_20050819193000_20050819200000.nuv
>
> Yeah, it's got those, but in between each one is about 100 "missing startcode"
> statements:
>
> 100% demuxing A/V PES file 1170_20050819193000_20050819200000.nuv^M!> missing
> startcode @ 1018269790
> ^M!> found startcode @ 1018269792
> ^M!> missing startcode @ 1018290402
> ^M!> found startcode @ 1018290404
>
> What do those mean?

Not sure what they are but I don't see any of these 'found startcode' or 'missing startcode'
messages in my log. Do you get the same message with other files too? Are the DVD's
created playable?

> > I just timed creating a DVD with a single 1.5Gb file on it. The Demuxing part just
> > took less than 2 mins to complete with 9 cutpoints on my system! The complete
> > DVD not including the burning took less than 8 mins total. Even a 733MHz cpu
> > shouldn't be taking 7 hours!
>
> That's what I'm screaming! My file isn't even that large. It's just 929M.
> And BTW, I've tried this on two different machines now. A dual 600mhz P3
> slot 1 with 800M PC100 SDRAM, and on my single CPU 733mhz machine with a
> 133mhz FSB and 512M PC133 SDRAM. Or maybe it has something to do with the
> fact that the slower 733mhz machine is running Sun's JRE, whereas the 600mhz
> machine is running the Blackdown JDK?

I'm using the Blackdown JDK on a gentoo machine and ProjectX 0.82.0

> Believe it or not, the 600mhz machine was actually faster, probably because
> it has more RAM and the disk storage is local to it (the 733mhz machine
> mounts it's storage from the 600mhz machine via 100BaseTX & NFS).
>
> 600mhz Final run time: 10 hours!!!!

That's a big difference between what I am seeing and what you are seeing!
Hard to believe it is down to cpu speed alone?

> These machines run two completely different operating systems too. The 733mhz
> machine runs KnoppMyth R5A16, whereas the 600mhz machine runs Gentoo Linux.
>
> How much RAM does your machine have? Maybe that has something to do with it.
> The 600mhz machine has more RAM, but it runs a lot of daemons, so most of it
> is usually in use. I didn't see any swapping during the projectx run though.

I have 512M memory not sure what spec but nothing special. There is a lot of disk
activity going on when running the scripts which may account for the difference you
see between machines. Running things over the network is going to slow things down
possibly?

> > The mythburn scripts will never transcode anything by the way they assume the files
> > you give it are already MPEG2 and have DVD compliant resolutions etc.
>
> Great. So why the heck does it take so long? :) My recordings are from a PVR 350.
> Does anyone here run Mythburn on recordings from a PVR 350? Maybe the mpeg it
> generates is really messed up or something?

I have used recordings from a PVR 250 and from DVB-t without problems. Although
I have only tested a few recordings and used xine to test play the iso images. I believe
one of the reasons Maritin switched to using projectx is because it was the only program
that could cut PVR x50 recordings and fix the bad recordings they sometimes produce.

> --
> Jesse Guardiani
> Programmer/Sys Admin
> jesse at wingnet.net