[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:24:34 UTC 2005

On 18/09/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> First I need to thank Jarod yet again.  The section of his guide on
> upgrading worked just fine on my master backend/frontend system.  It was
> as simple as running:
>
> yum install mythtv-suite
>
> and the system was upgraded from .17 to .18.1
>

> I have a slave backend/front end system that I put together last week.
> I held off the final configuration of it until I could get my master
> backend system running the same version of mythtv (.18.1).
>
> For my setup I have nfs mounted the /video/recordings directory from the
> master backend system on the slave backend as well as the
> /video/pictures directory.
>
> When I run mythfrontend I am able to watch live TV and play back
> existing recordings that reside on the master backend system.  This
> makes me believe that the two are communicating as expected.
>
> However, I am unable to get tv listings displayed and it appears that
> when playing live tv I am actually using one of the encoders from the
> master backend.
>
> This is reasonable as I only have the two encoders on the master backend
> defined.
>
> What I have not been able to figure out is how to setup the encoders on
> the slave backend so they are available for use.  Reading the guide it
> appears that I should skip step 3 of the mythtvsetup and I should not
> run the mythfilldatabase on the slave.
>
> Can someone point me to the section of documentation that I have skipped
> or missed detailing how to get this configured?

*IMPORTANT* - the slave backend (SBE) needs to be configured so that
it can connect to the master backend (MBE) and database.

You may need to give access to the SBE machine in MySQL (covered in
the official mythtv docs) if you haven't already, and possibly enable
networking in /etc/my.cnf (the MySQL config file). On the SBE, the
~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file will contain the settings for connecting to
the database.

Getting networking sorted is probably the biggest hurdle. Adding the
extra capture cards on the SBE is pretty easy.

1) Configure the new capture cards on the SBE using mythtvsetup on SBE

2) You do not create/configure new video sources on the SBE, these are
only ever configured/created on the MBE. Once you can connect to the
MBE/DB MythtV will have access to the video sources available on the
MBE machine.

3) Enter Input Connections in mythtvsetup on the SBE machine and
connect the correct video sources to the inputs on the new capture
cards you have just configured.

4) Once this is done (and you've made sure the capture cards are
working normally on the SBE), the newly added SBE capture cards should
be available (whilst the SBE is connected to the MBE) and you should
also be able to view program listings on the SBE.

5 You can check the system status in MythTV and using mythweb, and
should report the extra capture cards as available, and the machine
they are on.

HTH,
Nick