[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Sep 19 22:12:49 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> Well the magic seems to be missing from my configuration.  :)

There is no magic. That post was very misleading. Cards must be
configured locally. You must add the slave card by running
mythtv-setup on the slave host.

> 5. in mythtvsetup  on SBE execute steps 1, 2  (note if I try step 4 I
> don't see any option other than none for the video source)

This is a bad sign. If you are connecting to the same ddatabase
as your master backend, it will show the same list of video sources
as you see from the master.

The most common cause of this (and this should have been mentioned
in this thread by now) is that you may be connecting to a different
mysqld most likely running on the slave host. This won't work. All
frontends and backends that need to work together need to connect
to the same database.

On your slave host, "/etc/init.d/mysqld stop" and/or "killall mysqld"
If (when) mythtv-setup fails to connect to any database, get to
work on configuring your master's mysqld to allow remote connections
and access for a remote "mythtv" user and set the parameters in your
mysql.txt file.

Once you can connect from your slave host and mythtv-setup sees your
existing video sources, then you can move forward by; checking the IP
addresses in General, adding your local card(s), and associating your
inputs with your existing sources.

--  bjm