[mythtv-users] Transcoding and MediaMVP

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:31:15 UTC 2005

I ripped a couple of DVDs but I find that when I try to play them through
one of my MediaMVPs that it is a bit jerky. That is my fundamental problem
so if anybody has any suggestions about that in general, let me know.

My current approach involves trying to transcode them down to a lower
bitrate hoping that I won't have sync issues in that case (playing back TV
recordings, even at high quality, seems to work pretty well).

I've been playing around with transcode but I don't quite understand what it
is doing. It has about a million command line switches and my experiments so
far frequently lead me to two files: one for video and one for audio (at
least, I think that is what is happening).

Anybody have some good boiler plate command lines for transcode that will
take a .VOB file and give me a complete video file that plays on the
MediaMVP (I think mvpmc only handles MPEG1/MPEG2 but I'm not sure)?

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Mike