[mythtv-users] Which ivtv modules to load for pvr-150mce ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 20 04:32:17 UTC 2005

Robin Gilks wrote:

>I guess the subject says it all really. Many of the howtos revolve about
>the 250 (old) and 350 (with output). I'm trying to find out which modules
>should be loaded when I modprobe the ivtv module.

The only module you should ever load is "ivtv".  All other modules will
be loaded by ivtv (assuming you load ivtv correctly--using modprobe and
/not/ insmod).

>I've already discovered that msp3400 doesn't get loaded (no dependency in
>modules.dep to the main ivtv module) so I'm wondering what else I have to
>load manually.

msp3400 is the driver for the sound processor for PVR-250/350.  The
PVR-150 uses the cx25840.  Therefore, if you load msp3400, at best, it
wastes memory and at worst, it causes conflicts.

>I guess that since the header for saa7127.c says its an encoder, I need it
>but I assume that the decoder saa7115 is pvr-350 specific and so I don't
>load it! All very confusing!! No idea whether I have to pass any
>parameters across during loading since many of the howtos are either old
>or 350 specific :-((
>
>I get video OK but so far audio only sometime on video, nothing from the
>radio and nothing from the line inputs.
>
>I'm running latest SVN (0.3.9+ == trunk) - not sure if there are any
>gotchas there.
>
>Any pointers appreciated.

modprobe ivtv

and make sure you have the right module options.  For 0.3.8+, that
should mean that you have no options specified for ivtv modules (it will
autodetect.

Mike