[mythtv-users] ACPI sleep problems

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Sep 20 20:36:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 18:43 +0100, Steve Hill wrote:

> Well I know that there are a lot of broken ACPI implementations out there
> but I thought more recent stuff was ok

Interestingly enough, the people at EmperorLinux (a Linux laptop vendor
from whom I purchased my laptop) say just the opposite: it is more
recent video cards that don't work. They just released a new kernel;
below is a quote from their annoucement. I pass it on without comment.
It does make me want to go to ATI's web site and try a more recent
driver though; I'll let the list know if that helped.

I have confirmed that my problem is related to X and the video card. If
I switch to a text console, the hibernate script works fine, and
resuming gives me my command line shell back. But as soon as I hit
CTRL-ALT-F7 to switch to the X console, the system hangs.

--Greg

   o) New merges of nVidia and ATI drivers.  If you had any troubles
with these devices before, notably problems with suspend/hibernate, try
them again!  However, please keep in mind that many of the more recent
cards (ATI X300, X600, etc. and anything newer than a GeForce 5600)
still suffer from a lack of power management support, and will not
suspend or hibernate.