[mythtv-users] 16:9 video playback cutting off 10% on right side

Brian Steele steele.brian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:16:22 UTC 2005

On 9/21/05, mythtv at varga.co.uk <mythtv at varga.co.uk> wrote:

> > System specs:
> >
> > Myth 0.18
> > Nvidia FX5200, 7667 drivers
> > 2x HD-3000 capture card
> > 800x600 through TV-out over s-video.
> >
> > I had my Myth system setup and everything was working great...until the
> > fan on the video card went bad and the system started locking up.
> >
> > I was using a Nvidia 6200 AGP video card but I replaced it with a
> > fanless FX5200 card. After I replaced the video card and rebooted, the
> > Myth interface looked exactly the same as before, filling the screen
> > with very little overscan. I then attempted to playback some recorded TV
> > and discovered that on 16:9 material, at least 10-15% of the picture is
> > missing on the right side. 4:3 material seems to work fine.
> >
> > This did not happen with the 6200 card. I didn't change any settings in
> > .nvidia-settings-rc or in XF86Config-4, so I don't know what's causing
> > this. Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Different video cards sit the screen in slightly different places, it's
> just a fact of life. You'll need to tinker with the modeline in the
> XF86Config-4 file, just take it slowly.

I don't think that's the problem. The X desktop and the Myth UI both look
correct. Neither of them is getting 10-15% of the picture chopped off on the
right side. I only see the problem during 16:9 video playback. I have Myth
configured to use the same video mode for the GUI and for playback, so it
isn't that either.