[mythtv-users] program remote's power key to stop mythfrontend?

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Thu Sep 22 10:42:46 UTC 2005

David Watkins wrote:

>On 22/09/05, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 19:03 -0700, Mark Kundinger wrote:
>>

>>>You can have a shell script that responds to the power key and kills
>>>the frontend:
>>>

>>Yeah.  I have something similar.  Killing off mythfrontend just so
>>"coarse".
>>

>AFAIK there's no reason why killing the frontend should prevent it
>making a graceful exit.
>
>I thought that was what kill -9 was for.

I was annoyed enough by the lack of reasonable method for quitting
mythfrontend with a remote, that I made some patches to handle it -
added another event called SHUTDOWN, and assigned it to my remote's
power button - which then gived a (modified) menu of Cancel or Exit &
Shutdown.

I didn't bother sending the patches upstream, as they're for libmyth,
which is being made obsolete.

--Jo Shields