[mythtv-users] Various questions

Mickey Chandler mickc at whizardries.com
Thu Sep 22 19:43:50 UTC 2005

At 02:10 PM 9/22/2005, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
 >Video card.  Highly recommend nVidia card of some kind since ATI has
 >poor linux support.

Your mileage may vary on this one.  I'm using an ATI 9200 card in my
Myth box and have had excellent results with livna keeping the ATI
fglrx rpm package up to date with the kernel.  I'm running
2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 and have a current fglrx build in place.

On the other hand, if you insist on compiling from source, then yes,
I also thought that ATI was a bit slow off the blocks to start
supporting the 2.6 kernels (although I think this was more of a
problem with the changing to the newer GCC version than the kernel
itself).  I will also note that if you're trying to go completely OSS
with your Myth box then the ATI drivers aren't for you (as witnessed
by the "fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI
Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel." line you'll find in
dmesg after boot up).

--
Mickey Chandler
Chief Operating Whizard