[mythtv-users] MythDVD offline Archive or Catalog?

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 16:25:58 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> Roman Romaniuk wrote:
>>
>>> I have a fairly large DVD collection, but nowhere near sufficient
>>> disk space to be able to host all of it on my backend server. Is
>>> there any way to maintain the DVD listing within mythdvd, but have a
>>> note pop up requesting that the user insert the appropriate DVD (and
>>> possibly noting the DVD's location)  into the drive when it is
>>> selected for play?
>>

>> As of now, there's nothing within Myth to handle it.  However, it's
>> not too difficult to "fake it"...
>

> Forgot--some people use spaces in their filenames.  Updated
> prompt_for_media properly parses DVD name even when it includes
> spaces.  I guess that just means you shouldn't write code--even what
> seems like simple code--at 3:00 in the morning...
>
> Mike

>#!/bin/bash
>
>MEDIA_TYPE=$1
>FILE_NAME=$2
>
># Find the name of the disc
>case "${MEDIA_TYPE}" in
>  DVD)
>    DISC_NAME=`basename "$FILE_NAME" .dvd`
>    ;;
>  CD)
>    DISC_NAME=`basename "$FILE_NAME" .cd`
>    ;;
>  VCD)
>    DISC_NAME=`basename "$FILE_NAME" .vcd`
>    ;;
>esac
>
># Prompt the user to insert the disc
>xterm -bg NavyBlue -fg White +sb -fs 18 -geometry 40x6 \
>      -e prompt "Please insert ${MEDIA_TYPE}:" "${DISC_NAME}"
>
># Play the disc
>case "${MEDIA_TYPE}" in
>  DVD)
>    xine --no-splash --auto-play=fhq --auto-scan dvd
>    ;;
>  CD)
>    xine --no-splash --auto-play=fhq /mnt/cd
>    ;;
>  VCD)
>    xine --no-splash --auto-play=fhq --auto-scan vcd
>    ;;
>esac
>
>movemouse

idea but I don't have the skills to program this into MythTV.

Well, this is the first mention of it I've noticed since then so thought
I'd give it a go.

*damn* it works well! and the wife thinks it's amazing. I've modified
the script a little to allow me to index all the stuff I have. I have
DVD's where I've put 5-6 .avi's,mpg's,mov's etc on one disk - it's not
elegant by any means but it works.

It took *ages* to add them all and get all the related imdb stuff but
it's *well* worth it.

The wife can now look through every film we have on vcd,dvd and
compilation disks and select which one she feels like watching.

Am even going to modify the script further to allow me to add all the
svhs tapes we have.

Currently have over 600 films in there and not a single mb of spaced
used - *nice*

When I have the vhs in there too that'll take it to over 2000 which will
be damn impressive.

I've organised all the films into Genres so it's easy to find what you want.

So - my advice is this - if you want to improve the WAF *significantly*
then give this a try.

Next thing is to get it to a point where can do the "press any key to
continue" to be do-able by remote.

And last but not least - thanks *huge* Monsieur Michael Dean for coming
up with this idea.

Cheers

Craig