[mythtv-users] 68% filesize increase after transcode!

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:38:12 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I just started experimenting with transcoding (again) as I want to be able
to archive good shows after chopping out the commercials and shrink them
down so they aren't so massive. I'm recording with an HD-3000 using DVB so
I'm getting videos that are in resolutions like 1280x720 and 1920x1080.
Anyway, I just transcoded a 30 minute show last night from MPEG2 to RTjpeg
(while ripping out commercials). I see the message from the backend:

Transcode Finished for American Dad "A Smith in Hand": 1.9 GB => 3.2 GB
(Autodetect)

Is RTjpeg not a good compression algorithm? It must be worse then MPEG2,
since the video was almost exactly 31 minutes and is now 21 minutes and much
larger in size. I'm not scaling it down (yet) so it's still in it's native
size but it doesn't seem like that should matter, there's less content. I
think I'm going to try going to MPEG4, the RTjpeg conversion took about 1:20
to complete.

Thanks,
-Greg