[mythtv-users] Question on viewing digital signals on non-digital TV

Steve Bower sbower at cisco.com
Sun Sep 25 13:15:51 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Pettersen <pettersen at gmail.com> writes:

Erik> So, yeah.. hypothetically if you just get an OTA HDTV/ATSC set top box
Erik> AND it has svideo output you could hook it up to a normal TV...
Erik> although I don't entirely see why you'd want to :)

Actually, that's how I started out with HDTV 5-6 years ago.  The tuner
was (still is) much cheaper than the display, so if you want to get your
feet wet, it's easier to justify.

And the picture on an SD display turns out to be very very nice when
compared to a cable or satellite SD signal, it's at least DVD quality.
If all you've experienced is SD, there's a definite "wow" factor; and
there's still room for another (bigger!) "wow" when you finally upgrade
to the HD display.

Since I was already spoiled by tivo back then, I got a hipix HDTV card
so I could time-shift (albeit on a windows box), and the rest is
history...  :-)

I only got my HDTV display less than 2 years ago, after 3+ years of HD
content on the SD display.  Enjoyed every minute of it!

Anyways, Radio Shack has an HDTV STB on clearance for $89.98.  The
online store is out of stock, but every store in my area has them
available (catalog number 16-3499, an Accurion HTS 6000).  It has an
S-video out, though I've only used the component.  The remote that came
with my unit is very touchy (must be lined up exactly with the STB), but
my Harmony remote has no problem controlling it.

  Enjoy!
    Steve.