[mythtv-users] Mounting two hard drives to single mounting point

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 25 21:04:36 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 22:24, Tony Godshall wrote:
> According to Jim Reith,
>
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I'm not sure if this has been asked before or if its even possible,
> > >but is there any way to mount two HD's to a single mounting point in
> > >Linux?  I just added a second HD to my mythbox and was hoping there
> > >might be a way for /video to point to both of them.  Thanks.
> > >
> > >Azmat
> >
> > Search for LVM for how to create a multiple disk logical volume
>
> Also search for "union mounts", a bleeding edge feature in
> the 2.6 kernel.

That would not be appropriatefor this use case. The unionfs stacks the disks,
and would fill up the first one available with write access, and never
actually touch the "lower" disk. LVM or RAID 0 is the way to go for disk
concatenation, though he would be better off to get a third drive, and RAID 5
them. This would give him the smallest drives capacity * 2, with resilience
if one disk went bad.

Funnily enough I have been reading up on the unionfs with the idea that a set
of network booting diskless clients would all use a single read-only nfs
served OS, with a machine specific read-write filesystem stacked on top. That
way you maintain one system instead of 3 or 4. Marry this up to a backend,
and you have a single centralized backend and server, then you can hook a new
frontend into the network, tell it to network boot, and hey presto, another
frontend!
--
Steve Boddy