[mythtv-users] changing hostname from "localhost"

Ken Schutte kschutte at csail.mit.edu
Mon Sep 26 04:55:48 UTC 2005

I'm using a single machine for myth frontend and backend (FC 3), and I
always had it's hostname set to the default of localhost.localdomain.  I
just tried changing it to something else, and now, I can't seem to
connect to the myth backend.

I'm getting errors like:

Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 5)
Connection timed out.
You probably should modify the Master Server settings
in the setup program and set the proper IP address.

Also, if I do '/sbin/service mythbackend status', I get:
mythbackend dead put pid file exists
This happens immediately even if I try to restart the backend.

In mythtvsetup, it asks for "IP address for myhost: ", I can still put
127.0.0.1, correct?   I don't see any other settings in mythtvsetup
related to the setting the hostname.  But, I assume this is the problem
because everything was fine until I changed from 'localhost' (I did this
by modifying in /etc/sysconfig/network).  Any suggestions?

thanks,
Ken