[mythtv-users] Need to restart mythbackend manually each time after reboot

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Sep 26 13:19:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:48:37PM +1000, ffrr wrote:
> When I reboot, I need to restart mythbackend before it can record
> shows.
>
> If I restart the backend daemon, it will work properly.

There are two main reasons why programs will work manually and not when
started at boot time:

1) Environment - when you start the program manually it inherits your
shell environment variables.  Those may be missing when started via cron
or init.

2) Timing w/ respect to prerequisites - your back end may be starting
before the ivtv (or equivalent) module has been loaded.  The best way to
avoid these kinds of problems is to start the application from the
runlevel scripts and NOT from the system's boot-up script.  Since
nothing else depends on the back end (except the front end), it should
be one of the very last daemons your system starts.