[mythtv-users] Hauppauge IR and LIRC problems

Dave davedog at mac.com
Tue Sep 27 05:55:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

After moving recently, I've just rebuilt my Mythbox using Fedora FC 4. I
cannot seem to get LIRC working. I think it's the IR transceiver itself
not the set up; but before I try tracking down a replacement, I was
hoping someone here might be able to sanity check my setup and debugging
thus far..

Downloaded /etc/lircd.conf from Jarod's site for my setup.

/dev looks ok:

# ls -al /dev/li*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5 Sep 25 18:52 /dev/lirc -> lirc0
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 0 Sep 25 18:52 /dev/lirc0
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 1 Sep 25 18:52 /dev/lirc1
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Sep 26 01:53 /dev/lircd

Everything seems to connect fine:

# dmesg | grep lirc
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10

irw does nothing & irrecord returns with:

irrecord: gap not found, can't continue

irrecord leaves this in the log:

Sep 26 22:30:42 localhost lircd-0.7.2[2704]: accepted new client on
/dev/lircd
Sep 26 22:30:48 localhost lircd-0.7.2[2704]: removed client

...and the kicker:

cat /dev/lirc

shows nothing when I hit a remote button. This leads me to the
conclusion that the IR transceiver has given up the ghost.

Anything I've forgotten or could try? Does Haupppauge sell
replacements?. Any other places I might be able to find a replacement?

Thanks!

-Dave