[mythtv-users] Home Media Network Advice. Help! :-)

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 13:20:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 08:40, chicken bigger wrote:
> My new house will be completed in a month, so I am
> starting to plan for a home media network that I'd
> like to put together. I already have 1 coax and 2
> CAT5e drops in each bedroom, the family room and home
> office.
>
> What I'd like to do is have a central media server in
> the basement, and client media adapters (players) in
> other rooms. What would be great is if the clients
> could schedule recordings independently but share each
> other's streams, along with DVD backups hosted on the
> central server.
>
> Is this something that is easily handled by MythTV? Is
> it pretty easy to set up multiple clients and a single
> server?

Yes, mythtv can do all that.

What I think would be an ideal setup:

Master backend with large RAID system 1TB or better,
at least four capture cards.  Setup frontend systems
that are diskless and network boot from the server.
Drop as many of these around the house as needed.

You may want/need to setup a slave backend with
additional capture cards depending on how much
live tv is viewed.

Any front end will be able to view anything recorded
on the backend.