[mythtv-users] Xbox as FE

James Pattinson jamesp at hisser.org
Tue Sep 27 15:02:43 UTC 2005

Hi All

I am currently using minimyth on an EPIA-M as my frontend, and it
generally works really well. However the connection to my TV is only
Composite-out so the quality is not too hot (my TV doesn't do S-Video).

I do have an Xbox running XBMC connected to my TV via SCART and the
quality when playing videos is great so I'd like to investigate the
possibility of using it as my front end. Of course another benefit of
this would be that I get remote control functionality for free, as I'm
using a wireless keyboard at the moment.

However, most of the information I've found on the web is out of date,
and the instructions at http://bit.blkbk.com/ refer to Xebian 1.0.3
which I cannot locate at all.

So with this in mind, can anyone share their experiences of setting this
up? Can the xbox hardware handle the load? My back end is saving the DVB
transport stream straight to disk and i'm not transcoding anything.

Pros / Cons?

Cheers!

James