[mythtv-users] Source for drives

Tim McClarren tim at 7thheaven.org
Tue Sep 27 23:32:21 UTC 2005

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:47:47AM -0500, Mike Daugird wrote:
>
>>are there any secret sources for large capacity drives?
>

> I don't know about "secret", but the prices on Seagate 7200.7 400GB
> PATA drives these days are pretty good for what you get.  I wouldn't
> buy them refurbished, myself; the duty cycle's a bit high for that.
>
> My sister's last one was about $225US, I think.

Monarch had the WD 400G RE2 drives for $230 with shipping.

This is a preferable drive since it has a special feature which will
prevent it from dropping out of a RAID volume during long drive seeks,
or thermal recalibration (not that you'd ever use it...), plus it comes
with a 5 year warranty.  I think the Seagate drive also has a 5 year
warranty, but after dealing with hundreds of drives, I only buy Hitachi
and WD now.  Seagate and Maxtor have caused me nothing but headaches lately.

I just ordered 8 of them for my new MythTV setup.