[mythtv-users] Network protocol problem: what does this mean?

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 07:28:48 UTC 2005

I have a wierd problem. I have mythtv set up and working OK. Now I
want to use another machine as a front end, in a remote location. I
set up mythtv on that frontend, entered the relevant IP address... and
it tells me this:

The server uses network protocol version 14, but this client only
understands version 15. Make sure you are running compatible versions
of the backend and frontend.

Have any of you seen this? What is it referring to. I think that both
versions of mythtv are 0.18. I think the frontend version of mySQL is
newer but would that matter? What IS the "network protocol" version 14
or 15 that it is referring to.... and what can I do about it.

The backend is running ubuntu 5.04 amd64. The frontend machine is
running debian sid amd64. The former was a breeze to install, while
the latter was a total bitch. I couldn't get mythtv to install vi
apt-get (turns out it is the 32 bit version), it wouldn't install from
deb-src, and I couldn't get it to install from the tar ball. (Later
found out I have to change the version of gcc for this.) but someone
DID point me to a new 64bit deb file here:

deb http://pure64.org/debian ./

Got that installed, then ran into set up problems. I eventually
tracked that down to a problem with mySQL. I use version 4.1 which
uses different password authentication. After telling it to use the
old-style, mythtv got set up OK. Now if only I can figure out this
"network protocol" version thing maybe my setup will be complete.

Craig