[mythtv-users] Xbox as FE

James Pattinson jamesp at hisser.org
Wed Sep 28 13:09:10 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:

>Lots on this in the archives so I'm not going to go into much detail
>other than to say that another option to xebian is xbmcmythtv which is
>a python script based GUI front end which runs in Xbox Media Centre.
>Find it at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128346

Thanks to everyone who replied so far - I am going to try Phill's
suggestion as I like the idea of not have to reboot into Linux to run
the front end. I already have a GentooX install on the Xbox that I could
use if I find xbmcmythtv doesn't fit the bill for some reason.

>One of the big advantages of this solution is that you don't have to
>boot into Linux so startup times are a _lot_ quicker, plus it's
>probably a bit easier to configure as it's just a few settings screens
>- you don't have to worry about setting up a whole linux OS etc.
>Downside is that the functionality is not as rich and you have to
>download a patched mplayer to play files transcoded to MPEG4.

I don't think I'm using MPEG4 - it's the stream from the DVB transponder
which I think is MPEG2 though I could be wrong!

Cheers,

James