[mythtv-users] Nova-T DVB and FC4

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:10:33 UTC 2005

On 27/09/05, Phil Smith <phil.smith at phil-home.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I am trying a dvbscan on the command line, below is the output.
>
> ./dvbscan /home/mythtv/uk-chesterfield
> scanning /home/mythtv/uk-chesterfield
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> initial transponder 578000000 0 3 0 3 0 0 0
> 578000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSIO
> N_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> 578000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSIO
> N_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE (tuning failed)
> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
> ERROR: initial tuning failed
> dumping lists (0 services)
> Done.
>
> I have tried to use the 'scan channels' in the channel editor......but I get
> a similar error (no lock).
>
> I have checked the permissions and I get the same errors when I am runnng as
> root...so I don't think it is a permissions thing.
>
> Can you think of anything else to try?

I would try using Kaffeine to see whether your DVB card is working
properly - I decided to do this when I setup another slave backend
using some cheap V-Stream cards. It should have your transmitter
settings already defined in the Kaffeine DVB setup, and also scans for
TV/radio channels, but has the luxury of a GUI interface and live
video.

Assuming the prerequisites are met - i.e. you have a strong signal,
aerial plugged into the input, DVB devices (using cx88_dvb driver if
the newer Nova-T card) loaded successfully with accessible permissions
(for all /dev/dvb* devices and dirs) - you should be able to get
Kaffeine working with the card.

Do you get any output in your messages file when your DVB driver is loaded?

Nick