[mythtv-users] OT: Dead(?) vertical line on LCD

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:14:52 UTC 2005

This is a bit off topic, but I'm hoping someone here might know something.

I've got a 27" LCD (Syntax Olevia) that has been working splendidly
for around six months. That is it was working splendidly until about
two days ago, when I first noticed an odd line down the middle of the
screen. The line looks no more than one pixel wide, and is a hair to
the left of center, though I don't think the position is that
important.

It's most definitely an issue with the monitor -- the same line shows
up using DVI and VGA from my Myth box, and using S-vid from a
stand-alone DVD player, which means that X is not the problem. The
line remains in the same place when dragging windows back and forth
across the desktop.

Curiously enough, the line does not show up when the monitor has no
active inputs. There is just the standard  blue screen instead.

>From what I gather, the most likely cause is faulty electronics, and
so it may be, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar
problem, or has any clue what caused it.

About the only thing different I have been doing with the Myth machine
of late is recording and watching football games over OTA. I know that
recording won't do a thing to the display, but I've noticed that the
signal I've been recording is not that good.

Just to clarify, I'm in Arligton, VA, a literal stone's throw from DC
(It would be difficult to piss from my balcony and not hit something
owned by the government, the military, or a major government/military
contractor). Unfortunately, I'm on a lower floor of a building at the
bottom of the dark side of a hill. The OTA reception is much worse
than you might expect, and I won't get Comcast on principle (long
story, but I have my reasons)..

The OTA signal I get is pretty dirty, and there always seems to be a
sort of 'echo' -- like a weaker, identical signal on the same
frequency that is superimposed on the regular signal,  but out of
phase.

It also seems that the vertical line I am struggling with is in the
same place as the overlap between the normal broadcast signal and the
echo. This made me think maybe the crappy  TV signal had burned in the
line (although as I understand it, LCDs are not subject to burn-in,
and certainly not after only a few hours).

Also the pixels aren't really dead -- they show color, just a
different color than the pixels to the right and left. When that part
of the screen is certain colors (green, red, black), there is no
noticable problem, but when that bit is blue (other than default),
white, or other lilght color,  the line is clearly visible.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has seen this kind of thing before. Could
it have been caused by a bad external signal? Is it just an accident?
I can understand a bad pixel, but a bad column?

I just want to know if there's any way a person can cause this to
happen by running the TV signal (whatever quality) through a PVR-250,
fx5200 and LCD monitor. I'm not so much worried about my particular
piece of harware (which is under warranty) as about preventing the
same thing from happening again,

I'm happy to supply whatever information if someone has an idea what
is going on.

Thanks in advance.