[mythtv-users] Converting master to slave

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Sep 29 14:03:46 UTC 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 18:42 -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
>>

>>> Well, that didn't fix anything. I still only have access to the two
>>> local tuners. Do you have to change anything on the master to enable
>>> slaves?
>>>

>> This still sounds like a database problem. I say that because I spent
>> quite a bit of time tearing my hair out over a similar problem and
>> that's what it turned out to be in my case. Have you tried looking
>> directly at the capturecard table in the database to make sure all your
>> tuners are really in there?
>>
>> Try something like this (on the master backend):
>>
>> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
>> mysql> select * from capturecard;
>>
>> Does this show all the tuners from both master and slave?
>>
> mysql> select cardid,videodevice,audiodevice,cardtype,hostname from
> capturecard;
> +--------+-------------+-------------+----------+--------------+
> | cardid | videodevice | audiodevice | cardtype | hostname     |
> +--------+-------------+-------------+----------+--------------+
> |      1 | /dev/video0 | NULL        | MPEG     | mythtv       |
> |      2 | /dev/video1 | NULL        | MPEG     | mythtv       |
> |      3 | /dev/video0 | NULL        | MPEG     | computerroom |
> |      4 | /dev/video1 | NULL        | MPEG     | computerroom |
> +--------+-------------+-------------+----------+--------------+
> 4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Yep. However, I think I see the problem. It lists the hostname, but
> not the IP, and the name I used is not in the /etc/hosts file. I'll
> add it and see if that helps.
....and that fixed it. In the backend status I now see:

Encoder status

   Encoder 1 is local on mythtv and is not recording.
   Encoder 2 is local on mythtv and is not recording.
   Encoder 3 is remote on computerroom and is not recording.
   Encoder 4 is remote on computerroom and is not recording.

Beauty! Thanks for the tips, I should have noticed that one. I do recall
putting the IP in on the other box though....

Tom