[mythtv-users] Working on an OSD

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 21:32:29 UTC 2005

--- SpEnT <spentboy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hrmmm ... do you mean while watching a recorded program, bring up the OSD
> and have this information shown while you view it? I know in the list of
> recorded programs, it lists the date it was recorded so that might be a
> little redundant unless of course someone asks you while you are watching it
> when it was recorded .... you'd have to stop watching it and look in the
> list of recorded programs to see a date. The first aired I'm not sure how to
> do. I'll take a look and see what other data can be displayed, they're all
> predefined vairables from what I can tell, you just format where they are
> and how they display in the OSD.
>
> I'll keep playing around with it and see what I can put in. I know I had
> some issues with truncating long program descriptions and start/stop times.
> They'd either inconveniently cut something off or wrap in an ugly manner.
> This doesn't meant I couldn't create another window in the screen somewhere
> that could display other info though (I don't think). I'm still pretty new
> to working with the OSD stuff but I'm willing to try anything :-) I'll play
> around and see what I can come up with or what other data I can display
> without making the screen too crowded.
>
> --
> Lonny

I'd be happier with seeing when the original record date was.  Just last night
my wife asked me "is this the King of Queens for this week or last week?"  If
both were reruns it'd be more clear to me to see the record date than the
original air date (which might be years ago).

Anyways, I had to go back to the list of recordings to see when it was recorded
and thought "gee, I wonder why the OSD (which said the TIME it was recorded)
didn't include the date as well...".  Good timing :)

On another note, where did you get all the info you needed to build your OSD?
>From the web somewhere?  Somewhere in the mythtv docs?  Or just by playing
around with other, existing OSDs?  I'd be interested to know what the
predefined variables are, are things different for widescreen modes, etc.

Thanks,

--Jack