[mythtv-users] EPIA SP8000E questions

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 20:10:08 UTC 2005

Gordon Morehouse wrote:

> Second, does MythTV support the CN400 MPEG-4 acceleration, and how
> well does it work on the SP8000E?

 From what I have read the MPEG-4 acceleration wasn't supported in the
Linux Drivers yet, though I could be wrong.

> Third, would there be any problem playing back both music and video
> from a network filesystem?

There shouldn't be, I have wireless G and it plays audio and video over
the network fine.

> Fourth, is the PVR250 going to get too hot for a fanless case? I've
> heard the 350 runs hot. I should only need a single encoder though,
> since the EPIA board has MPEG2 playback acceleration and TV out.

I would go with PVR150 as it is cheaper and the same card.  Not sure how
hot it gets.

> Fifth, does the SP8000E have optical SPDIF support? I've seen some
> conflicting posts.

It has a coaxial SPDIF connector on the board (that is also is
switchible to composite video out).
It also has a connector on the board for digital out, not sure if there
is an opitical connector for that or not.
I would also go for at least 512MB of memory.  My machine (PIII, Gentoo)
seems to use about 450MB on average.

I'm also looking into the Epia's as frontends and building a heftier box
for backend recording/reencoding duties.
Now if I could just find a good cheap Mini-ITX case with built-in IR
that plugs into the Epia board.

Lee