[mythtv-users] living room myth pvr

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 1 03:57:21 UTC 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Andrew Robinson wrote:

> Dewey Smolka wrote:
>> On 3/31/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How about smallish, easier to get working, but don't worry about
>>> the cost. I
>>> was thinking about maybe a shuttle case or something along those
>>> lines. I'll
>>> be buying this probably one or two pieces at a time so cost isn't my
>>> concern. I want it HDTV ready as well. Thoughts?
>>>

>> Based on the ideas that 1) cost is not really an issue; and 2) you'll
>> be building piece by piece, here's what I'd recommend:
>>
>> Start with a combined FE/BE in a mid-tower or tower case. This is
>> mainly because you'll want the room for expansion devices and drives,
>> and you'll want to leave enough space for airflow.
>
> I just built a system with an Antec Sonata case. It's a mid- or
> mini-tower. It's definitely bigger than the settop-style cases, but it
> is smallish, made to look good, and built to be very quiet.  It is
> slightly less expensive than the settop-style cases. Its appearance is
> nice enough that my wife doesn't mind having it in the family room
> next
> to the TV.

I have my FX-60 in that case. The hard drives are on rubber mounts
and the second (rearmost) fan on the PS only spins up if it has to,
it is indeed quiet for that type of case.

My only complaint is that the paint finish is so smooth that an
optical mouse won't track on the case top without a pad :-)