[mythtv-users] Which tuner card? Can you make a recommendation?

Douglas R. Spindler (DNAI) spindler.dnai at rcn.com
Sun Apr 2 00:04:29 UTC 2006

I'm new to MythTV and Linux and would like a recommendation for a tuner
card.  I've been using ReplayTV with the auto commercial advance, and just
saw a demo of MythTV.  Looks great!  Here's my question...  Which tuner card
should I use?  I've looked at the list, and seem Hauppauge is the way to go.
Only problem I can't easily tell what the difference is between the models.
Can you offer some assistance?

I was thing of the PVR-550, but it doesn't come with a remote?  Don't you
want a remote?  Looks like the PVR-350 has some audio issues and is the only
difference between the 150 and 250 an FM radio?

Can you offer a suggestion?  (Not looking of HD.)  I think an onboard
encoder makes more sense on the tuner card makes sense, right?  Or am I
missing something?

The box I want to use is a Dell OptiPlex GX110 P-3, 1.0gig with .5 gig of
RAM and an integrated video card.  From what I have read, that should work,
right?

I plan on using the easy build version of Myth.  From what I've been told,
it should build a system in about 30 minutes.  Sound about right?

Would appreciate it If you could get me going,
Thanks