[mythtv-users] RAID BTDT's

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 00:54:42 UTC 2006

> I'm using software RAID now, I have 2 250GB SATA drives running
> (software) RAID-0. I'd like to add a drive and move the array to
> RAID-5, but I worry about the CPU overhead of having to calculate the
> parity data.

With any modern CPU, the CPU overhead of RAID 5 is minimal, I wouldn't
worry about it. Even on old CPUs it's not an issue.

> The only advantage I can see to "BIOS" RAID would be if for some
> reason you wanted to be able to use the array on both Linux and
> Windows, I can't envision a situation where you'd want to do this,
> but it would be possible with BIOS RAID and not with Linux software
> RAID.

I thought it was possible to utilize the "BIOS" RAID on some Promise
(and maybe others?), that way you get the benefit of making it easy to
boot the RAID in the case of drive failures, but I haven't tried this
myself.

-Dave