[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Apr 3 18:10:53 UTC 2006

> Yes. I will put the effort into developing it, unless someone else does it
> first. There are radio talk shows that I like to listen too... and being
> able to record them, automatically rip the commercials, and encode them to
> mp3 would be very desirable. At the moment my plate is pretty full, but as
> soon as things settle down some I will get going on this....

This does sound like a great idea. I would probably listen to a lot more
radio if I could pick which shows to listen to and fast-forward commercials.

I don't think you will be able to automatically commercial-detect like you
can with video - a lot of the video commercial detection algorithms depend
on the actual frames of video. Worth a shot, though

I wonder if there is a database somewhere for radio programming? The
> database for radio shows might have to be divided up by hour and labeled by
> the date and time... ie...
>
>         |   8     |  8:30  |   9
> NBC |   earl  | office  |  etc
> 98.5  |  98.5 8-9 4/06| 98.5 9-10 4/06
>
> thus when you go to schedule via mythweb/guide then you would just select
> the hours you want to record.

Screenscraping the actual stations webpages might be the only way. I think
manually recording might be the best way for now, seeing as there are SO
many radio stations, and some of them re-use the same frequencies if they
are far enough apart. Easier to just know what time to record.