[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 21:04:05 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> On 4/3/06, Jeff Simpson < jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > > Yes. I will put the effort into developing it, unless someone else does
> it
> > first. There are radio talk shows that I like to listen too... and being
> > able to record them, automatically rip the commercials, and encode them to
> > mp3 would be very desirable. At the moment my plate is pretty full, but as
> > soon as things settle down some I will get going on this....
> >

> > This does sound like a great idea. I would probably listen to a lot more
> > radio if I could pick which shows to listen to and fast-forward
> commercials.
> >
> > I don't think you will be able to automatically commercial-detect like you
> > can with video - a lot of the video commercial detection algorithms depend
> > on the actual frames of video. Worth a shot, though
> >

> > > I wonder if there is a database somewhere for radio programming? The
> > database for radio shows might have to be divided up by hour and labeled
> by
> > the date and time... ie...
> > >
> > >         |   8     |  8:30  |   9
> > > NBC |   earl  | office  |  etc
> > > 98.5  |  98.5 8-9 4/06| 98.5 9-10 4/06
> > >
> > > thus when you go to schedule via mythweb/guide then you would just
> select
> > the hours you want to record.
> >

> > Screenscraping the actual stations webpages might be the only way. I think
> > manually recording might be the best way for now, seeing as there are SO
>  > many radio stations, and some of them re-use the same frequencies if they
> > are far enough apart. Easier to just know what time to record.
>
>> thats the best way I can think, perhaps a plugin system for scraping
>> specific station webpages?
>
> here's a site that lists public radio schedules, looks like a LOT of
> stations:
>
> http://www.publicradiofan.com/cgi-bin/whatson.pl?when=nowlookahead&lookahead=200&format=grid
>
> But to tell you the truth, I think the hardest and most important part will
> be integrating the recording and scheduling into myth. Things that will have
> to be handled:
>
> Adding the radio as a separate tuner would easily give you the ability to
> add channels and a separate channel-changing script
> However, it would get more complicated, since the radio and TV tuner can't
> be used at the same time, you'd need a way to handle conflicts (somehow link
> the radio tuner to a TV tuner?)
> How to actually record and store the recordings. Will it record directly to
> mp3, or does it need to be piped through an encoder. Can we store it in the
> same recordings database myth uses, or is it best to keep them separate?
>
> Sounds like it could potentially be a major change to myth.

perhaps modifying myth to add a second type of channel for radio
stations that you want to be recorded, a flag that would let mbe know
that it needs to tune to the radio instead of TV?.

I can think of ways it could present itself to the user, but I have no
idea what the backend changes required would be...

--
Steve