[mythtv-users] Success with DVD vob rips on an external drive?

Garth Benedict shrkbait at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 22:19:05 UTC 2006

Well, no one responded on this, but I went ahead and got a 250G IOMega USB
drive yesterday (100 bucks at CompUSA).

Can vobs play? Yes
Out of the box? No, vfat limits file size.
<Plug in drive>
dmesg
<check partition (sda1 for me)>
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
mkdir /mnt/external
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/external
cp /myth/video/*vob /mnt/external
ln -sf /mnt/external/*vob /myth/video

Since I use gallery/folder view in mythvideo, I use symlinks.  A little up
keep when I add a new video but really no problem.

No stuttering or anything on palyback using xine.  Jumps feel instant.

Someday I will try http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm for
windows.