[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 2 release - a parasitic Windows front end for MythTV

Stephen Dolan stephen.dolan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:13:55 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, David Woods <david at spurgeonwoods.com> wrote:

>  Greetings.
>

> I have updated TapeWorm, a parasitic MythTV front end for Windows, based
> on feedback provided by users of this list.  My thanks to all who have
> contributed to the discussion.

Hi David,

I'm trying TapeWorm Beta 2, with my MythTV 0.19 installation, but I'm having
no luck getting it to work. I've shared my video directory using Samba and
mounted it on the Win PC. I've also configured the correct IP address and
mysql username/password for my backend. However, I always get the message
"Database Error" and
"TapeWorm is unable to connect to the MySQL database.
Please check TapeWorm's configuration and your MythTV Server's status."

Is there any way to turn on more debugging messages so I can try and track
down the problem?

There's nothing unusual about my setup - I've a combined frontend/backend,
but I haven't changed any of the ports that the servers listen onand both
the myth box and the PC are on the same network so there shouldn't be any
issue with the port being blocked. The only messages in the log files are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "TapeWorm.py", line 246, in OnConfig
IndexError: string index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "TapeWorm.py", line 246, in OnConfig
IndexError: string index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "TapeWorm.py", line 128, in OnPlay
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

Thanks for the help!