[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Apr 5 17:30:24 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
>
>> hear hear. MythTV only makes sense as a hobby or if you need the added
>> functionality/disk space.
>> Tivo is cheaper (and probably easier to use and possibly more reliable)
>> by far. I suspect that might
>> change as time marches on though.
>>

> The only thing I find easier about Tivo over Myth currently is setup.
> But given that TiVo, like Apple, is fixed hardware, that makes sense.
> Watching Live TV and Recordings from within Myth is quite easy and
> stable on my system, plus I have 5 tuners, something I'd never have
> with TiVo.
>
> My only real gripe with the TV side of Myth right now is the CPU
> requirements for HD which has caused playback hickups since I barely
> meet the requirements. I'm sure with a >4000+ Athlon I wouldn't have
> this issue. I also think I may need to increase the number of disks in
> my RAID5 array, but thats only because I'll shortly be adding two HD
> capable frontends.

:) This seems to depend on a lot of different factors. I run HDTV on my
2.93ghz Celeron D
($50 CPU) with no problems while running XvMC, other than the fact that
I can't reliably
use Bob deinterlace. But as I've said before, I think the Bob issue is
mostly a software issue
that can be corrected with a little work.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net