[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 02:15:23 UTC 2006

> On Apr 5, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> >> I suspect you would have a lot more than a "hickup" if you tried to
> >> play HD with a series 1 or series 2 TiVo, I think it would roll over
> >> and die.
> >>
> >> Of course it wasn't designed for HD.
> >
> > HD-capable tivos have been available for quite some time now.
>
> Yes, but not the series 1 and series 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but
> aren't the only HD TiVos units that rely on the content already being
> encoded into mpeg? I do not know of a TiVo that can take baseband
> HDTV, either component, DVI or whatever, and encode it to mpeg to
> write to a disk, or any units that can write unencoded HD to any
> storage medium.

there is an HD DirecTivo, which is based on the series 2 hardware. But
it doesn't encode the HD signals, it just copies the stream from the
DirecTV satelite, and I think may have an ATSC tuner (which again just
copies the stream). The TiVo also has a dedicated mpeg2 decoder chip,
in this case capable of handling an HDTV stream.

I still think a mpeg2/mpeg4 decoder chip card like a Hollywood+ that
is capable of overlays is what MythTV needs, I just wish there were
some people that knew how to design such a thing and sell it in the
same veign as the pcHDTV HD3000...

--
Steve