[mythtv-users] AC3 Decoding without external hardware?

Jim Torelli jim.torelli at us.logicalis.com
Thu Apr 6 17:38:21 UTC 2006

Hey Isaac!

How's it goin?  So, my real issue is that when I turn S/PDIF passthrough off, everything is recorded with only 2 channels in the NUV file (when played back through MPlayer or anything else).. When I turn it AC3 to S/PDIF on, all 6 channels are recorded to the NUV file, but obviously the audio stream is just clicks (the digital stream being played through the analog output), however when I play this NUV under MPlayer I get full 5.1 sound.

So I guess  I should refine my question to: Is there any way to get MythTV to record all 6 channels of audio to the NUV, then play them back correctly in all 6 channels without using any external S/PDIF output, like MPlayer does..

Thanks!!!
jim