[mythtv-users] Can you "nice" an I/O process

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 7 20:03:54 UTC 2006

A bit OT, but related to Myth systems.

I know how you can "nice" a process to control its use of CPU
resources. What I am wondering is if there is a similar function with
I/O, specifically disk reads/writes ?

I'd like to be able to start an archive process but have it use less
than the normal PCI and IDE system resources, even though it would of
course take longer.

The only solution I have come up with so far is to write the data to
and then from a low-performance storage system (USB drive). If I copy
the data to the USB drive, and then back to an IDE drive, it winds up
using only about a third of the PCI/IDE resources that a direct IDE-
IDE transfer would take.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it directly and get the
same "niceness" on I/O resources.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org