[mythtv-users] Can you "nice" an I/O process

mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Fri Apr 7 20:23:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:03:54PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it directly and get the
> same "niceness" on I/O resources.
There are ways to achieve the same thing in a pipe as the USB device
(e.g. I use 'pv' these days to monitor copies over the network, and you
can use it to limit the throughput too), but it's doing a hard limit
rather than prioritisation.

The problem is that if you request CPU time, you get it.  If you send a
request to disk, it takes time to get the response - with the result
that it can a lot more easily impact something else using the disk...

Graham