[mythtv-users] OT: ic7-g ide DMA w/DVD-ROM?

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Fri Apr 7 20:54:49 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased an ic7-g motherboard for use with MythTV.
> There are only two things that don't seem to work on it:
>
> 1.) SPDIF pass-through
> 2.) DMA on IDE for DVD-ROM drive
>
> I'd like to fix both of these, but I'm most concerned about the DMA
> issue right now because I don't have a spare PCI IDE card laying around.
> The mobo is running the latest BIOS from 2004, and I've tried a
> known good DVD drive from another machine with the same bad results.
>
> I've read the howto here:
>     http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/DVD-Playback-HOWTO/#dmatrouble
>
> And I'm consistently getting:
>
> /dev/hda:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

I am running FC4 on IC7-G and DMA seems to work with two different DVD
drives. But I don't use the drives a whole lot, so who knows what's
broken...

$ hdparm -d /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
  using_dma    =  1 (on)
$ hdparm -d /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
  using_dma    =  1 (on)
$
$ uname -a
Linux pilot 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4smp #1 SMP Tue Feb 7 13:48:31 EST 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Bolek