[mythtv-users] What should I look for in a soundcard?

cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 23:50:02 UTC 2006

Thanks for bringing up this topic.  I too am interested in some sound hardware, but some of my audiophile friends tell me I should try to get the sound out of the computer.  They recommend those USB sound thingies.  Word is, you can avoid all the noise and interference inside a computer by moving the digitisation/conversion outside of the computer.  As you can tell, I don't really understand this topic.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices?

 Fry's was selling the turtle beach model for like $80 last weekend.  I didn't buy one because I don't know what level the Linux support for those devices is.

Looking forward to the discussion on this topic.

John

----- Original Message ----
From: Yalusa Jongihlati <yjongihlati at gmail.com>
To: MythTV-Users <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, April 7, 2006 9:38:09 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] What should I look for in a soundcard?

I currently have a Sound Blaster Live! 7.1 24-bit that does not have capture of sound supported. This obviously means I have to get another soundcard. Now this card will be installed in a box that will be exclusively dedicated to running as a backend and frontend. The card I will most likely be using will be a Hauppauge PVR-150/350/500 depending on how I eventually to configure the setup.

So I need a soundcard that will be configurable with (choices in order of preference):
Program: MythTV
OS: Suse / Mandriva / FC4 / uBuntu / KnoppMyth
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR 500/350/150

Thanks

Yalusa