[mythtv-users] [OT] nvidia 8756: XvMC works!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 21:18:17 UTC 2006

--- Jurgen Kramer <gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 16:02 -0400, Steven Adeff
> wrote:
> > On 4/8/06, Jurgen Kramer <gtm.kramer at inter.nl.net>
> wrote:
> > > I just tried the new nvida 8756 drivers from
> livna on my main PC to see
> > > if XvMC would finally work....and it works!!
> > >
> > > I hope the atrpms packages will be there soon so
> I can upgrade my
> > > mythbox.
> > >
> > > vd_ffmpeg: XVMC accelerated MPEG2
> > > trying pixfmt=0
> > > VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred
> colorspace: MPEG1/2
> > > Motion Compensation and IDCT)
> > > VDec: using MPEG1/2 Motion Compensation and IDCT
> as output csp (no 0)
> > > Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct
> movie aspect.
> > > VO: [xvmc] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 MPEG1/2 Motion
> Compensation and IDCT
> > > vo_xvmc: Port 274 grabed
> > > vo_xvmc: Found matching surface with id=54434449
> on 274 port at 0
> > > adapter
> > > vo_xvmc: Allocated Direct Context
> > > vo_xvmc: data_blocks allocated
> > > vo_xvmc: mv_blocks allocated
> > > vo_xvmc: Motion Compensation context allocated -
> 8 surfaces
> > > vo_xvmc: idct=1 unsigned_intra=0
> > > vo_xvmc: looking for OSD support
> > >     Subpicture id 0x34344149
> > > vo_xvmc: OSD support by additional frontend
> rendering
> > >
> > > Jurgen
> >
> > Jurgen, what was the issue you had before?
> > I noticed that I had to run mplayer over and over
> until it worked
> > before Myth would start using XvMC, which makes it
> hard on a dedicated
> > frontend. If this new version is working right off
> the bat, that will
> > be my two problems with the old drivers solved
> (interlacing and now
> > possibly XvMC).
>
> On my main PC, which has a 6800GS, XvMC was not
> working at all because
> of a bug in the driver. On my myth system, which has
> a 6200, I only got:
>
> Error while decoding frame!
> [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCLoadQMatrix: Error:
> 2
> [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCBeginSurface: Error:
> 2
> Error while decoding frame!
> [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCLoadQMatrix: Error:
> 2
> [mpegvideo_xvmc @ 0x86b2c00]XvMCBeginSurface: Error:
> 2
>
> Hopefully these errors will be gone as well. I'll
> wait for the atrpms
> packages. So far it looks promising, it would save
> me a CPU upgrade on
> my myth fe/be system.
>
> Jurgen

I just installed it from the ATrpms packages, and it
pulled in the 2.6.16-1 kernel, which of course means
an ivtv, alsa and lirc update (at least in the kernel
modules, anyway).

Unfortunately, XvMC seems broken with OpenGL vsync
enabled (at least on my version of SVN), and I got a
hard lockup on my MythTV machine (combined
backend/frontend) when I tried changing channels while
watching LiveTV on my FusionHDTV 5 Lite ATSC card.

Given this, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet
and get a new CPU.  My Athlon64 3200+ (socket 754) is
almost powerful enough for HD without XvMC (sometimes
I get the odd prebuffering pause, but only when a
flurry of disk active happensm like commercial
flagging or database accesses), and can definitely do
it with XvMC, but too many problems with it.  Tweaking
the PCI latencies definitely helped out to get me to
that point.

I hope that it works for other people, but I think for
me, an X2 is a better solution.  Too many bugs with
XvMC and MythTV right now.

-- Joe