[mythtv-users] 6200ch sometimes doesn't work

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Apr 9 02:04:08 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> then wrote in his reply:
> if your using 0.19 or one of the newer svn's before 0.19 came out,
> 6200ch has a new mode that some of us discovered may help those that
> the traditional method doesn't work for. This method is the "single
> packet method" and can be enabled with -s. Try this method out.

Ahem.

In any case, my experience with 6200ch and my two cable boxes more or
less bears Nick's experience out:

* Let mythbackend handle channel changing (e.g., no filename specified
  in the channel-changing program setting): Reasonably reliable, with
  perhaps one of 15-20 changes not occurring correctly. This may sound
  high, but I was used to a similar response rate with my Series 1
  TiVo and its IR blaster dongle, and it never proved to be a
  significant problem in practice in more than four years of intensive
  use.

* 6200ch without the '-s' switch: Just as reliable, if not so; perhaps
  one in 20 now or even more. The changes themselves are no faster,
  though.

* 6200ch with the '-s' switch: Much faster changes but reliability
  suffered, with perhaps one in five or six now failing.

I've gone back to using 6200ch without the '-s' switch. Also see
<URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire>, which I
contributed to, and
<URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:FireWire>.