[mythtv-users] transcoding to ogg theora?

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Sun Apr 9 15:07:26 UTC 2006

On pe, 2006-04-07 at 10:09 -0400, Warren wrote:
> Does anyone have a script that will convert mpeg2 .mpg files to ogg
> theora files?  I know that it can be done with a combination of vlc and
> transcode, just not sure how.

Why? Considering the source (TV) and material (copyrighted), using
Theora doesn't really have any significant benefits to it. For private
use you're just as well off using Xvid (it's patent-encumbered, but no
one is going to ask you for a license in personal use), and get much
better quality with faster transcoding(1). It might be another matter if
you were looking to redistribute the material, but that's not what
you're after, is it?

1) http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-quali-105-3.htm

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org